Beef Tamale Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 each small white onion
- 1 each green bell pepper
- 1 each roma tomato
- 1/4 cup green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Cornbread batter recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: mixing bowl, whisk, baking dish, cutting board, knife, saute pan, spatula
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Dice bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and green onions into small pieces
- First, prepare the cornbread. In a mixing bowl, add the egg, sugar, yogurt, and vegetable oil. Stir, until thoroughly mixed.
- Then, add the baking powder, flour, and cornmeal. (best to mix in the dry ingredients in batches so that the mixture does not clump)
- Place the batter in a greased baking dish and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the center is fully cooked.
- Next, prepare the taco meat. Add oil to a heated pan on medium high heat. Saute the onions until they soften.
- Add the ground beef and break into smaller pieces. Continue to cook until it has turned golden brown. Then add the spices and tomato sauce. Continue to stir the beef until it is fully cooked.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven. Carefully add the ground beef mixture on top. Then, layer the rest of the vegetables on top.
- Finally, add shredded cheese on top and place it back into the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and carefully scoop out a serving. Eat and enjoy!