Who doesn’t love french toast or muffins? I know we do! This simple and easy breakfast idea brings together the best of both worlds all in the palm of your hands!
French toast is such a classic breakfast that we normally prepare on the stovetop, but for easy meal prep purposes, we decided to bake them in the oven using muffin pans. When cooking meals for yourself, they work well for a make-ahead breakfast or as a cute brunch option for the weekend.
Why you’ll love these French Toast Muffins for your meal prep:
- Instead of throwing away stale bread, you can use it up in this recipe
- We use budget-friendly and pantry-friendly ingredients
- You get portion-controlled servings, which works well for solo cooking
- You can easily pack these breakfast muffins on-the-go
Let’s Gather the Ingredients:
- Bread: Choose your choice of bread. Cut it up into one-inch cubes
- Milk: If you want to keep this recipe dairy-free, you can swap it out with almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk
- Eggs: Eggs help bind the bread mixture together so that it does not crumble after baking
- Honey: You can also use maple syrup or agave nectar, but regular sugar will also work
- Cinnamon Powder: This adds a layer of sweet spice to the recipe, you can also use nutmeg
- Pecans: Chop these up into small pieces. They will add a nice crunch. You can also use walnuts or almonds
How to Make French Toast Muffins for One:
- Preheat the oven and grease your muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the milk, egg, honey, and cinnamon powder.
- Add the bread cubes to the bowl and mix them well until they are fully coated with the liquid.
- Scoop the bread mixture into the muffin wells.
- Top each muffin well with chopped pecans.
- Bake them in the oven until they are golden brown.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Easy Breakfast French Toast Muffins
- Prep Tip: It’s best to use stale bread because it helps soak up the milk and egg mixture. If you don’t have stale bread, you can always toast your bread in the toaster prior to chopping it into cubes.
- Cooking Method: If you don’t want to heat up the large oven, you can bake these in a small toaster oven or the air fryer using a small 6-cup muffin pan or single muffin cups.
- Storage: The muffins can be kept at room temperature for 2 to 3 days, or you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: Pop them in the microwave until they warm through (usually only takes about 20-30 seconds).
- To Serve: Enjoy these muffins with fresh fruit. If you have a sweet tooth, you can drizzle more honey on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
What bread can I use for French Toast Muffins?
Brioche toast is famous for its golden color and rich taste. You can also use baguettes or ciabatta bread.
What to serve with French Toast Muffins?
Besides fruit, you can up your protein intake by enjoying it with a hard-boiled egg or breakfast chicken sausage.
Can you freeze breakfast muffins?
Yes, if you decide to make a larger batch, you can wrap them up in freezer paper. We prefer not to store them for more than 3 months.
Oven Baked French Toast Muffins with Strawberries