Our Grilled Zesty Cilantro Chicken with Rice and Beans is a modern twist on a classic Mexican favorite, cilantro lime chicken. Using two sauces from one of our favorite Whole 30 condiment companies, Saucy Lips, this easy to make chicken recipe is packed full of nutrients and flavors and comes together in under 30 minutes. Cilantro is commonly combined with chicken for seasoning and in marinades in southwestern, Mexican and Caribbean dishes.
Ease of Making: Medium
Cilantro, also known as coriander, has many health benefits and is great for high blood sugar and type 2 diabetic diets. Although, the seeds, oils and extracts from coriander are so effective at lowering blood sugar that those with diabetes or on diabetes medication should practice caution when using this powerful plant.
Our main protein in this easy cilantro recipe, chicken, is also loaded with nutritional benefits and is more cost effective than most other proteins. Chicken is a lean meat that provides a high amount of protein to help keep bones strong and build muscles. It is also a powerhouse provider of B6, which can help reduce the amount of homocysteine, one of the key components linked to heart attacks. If you’re looking for a heart healthy protein, this is it.
Meal Prep Tips for Grilled Zesty Cilantro with Rice and Beans
It is healthy to eat rice and beans together because they combine both carbs and proteins while being low in fat. In fact, many people around the world eat this as a tool for survival. While you cannot live off rice and beans for the long term, these dishes do provide a fantastic protein source and 9 amino acids.
How to make black beans and rice:
- Heat oil and saute green onions until translucent
- Add rice and season, stir until rice is fully coated
- Add beans and water
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes until rice is cooked
How many cups are in a can of beans:
Our recipe calls for one cup of beans, your average 15oz can of beans hold 1.75 cups of beans drained. So if you’re looking for extra ways to use your beans, try them in a soup, quesadilla, or on a salad.
Grilled Zesty Cilantro with Rice and Beans
Chicken and Marinade
Rice and Beans
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup kidney beans (or use your choice of beans: black beans, pinto beans, etc)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: cutting board, knife, bowl, grill pan, tongs, sauce pan, spatula
- Chop the green onions and cilantro
- Marinate the chicken with the sauces and seasonings for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking
- Heat a grill pan to high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the chicken to the pan. Lower the heat to medium high heat. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on the first side to develop dark grill marks
- Then, flip the chicken using tongs to cook the other side for 5 to 6 minutes. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F
- Then, remove the chicken and let it rest before cutting it into bite size pieces
- While the chicken is grilling, start cooking the rice by adding oil to a sauce pan on medium high heat. Add the green onions and saute until they soften and turn translucent
- Next, add the rice and season with garlic powder and salt. Mix the rice well until it is fully coated with the oil and lightly toasts. Then add the beans
- Pour the water and bring it to a boil. Once it comes a boil, cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low heat. Simmer the rice for about 20 minutes until the rice is tender
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and mix in fresh cilantro
- Serve rice with the chicken and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: