If you’re out of tortillas and taco tuesday rolls around, this dish is the perfect way to celebrate without having to run to the store. Beef fajita pasta is creamy, filling, and satisfying to every degree possible. It also comes together in under 30 minutes, which is great for weekdays or any other night you’re limited on time.
Ease of Making: Medium
How to Make Beef Fajita Pasta
A comforting collision of two worlds, this fajita pasta combines traditional mexican spices like cumin, cilantro, chili powder and paprika with a hearty and filling pasta. Sour cream (or yogurt) is added to give this pasta the creamy texture we all love in a pasta dish.
This recipe calls for flank steak but you can easily sub in chicken or shrimp if red meat isn’t your thing. You’ll cook each of these with the same process but cooking times will vary.
How to Cook Beef Fajita Pasta
Start by cooking your chosen pasta according to package instructions. We like pasta shapes that really hold onto the sauce like bowties, rotini, or shells. Using a shaped pasta ensures that the sauce makes it into every crevice, giving you a flavorful experience in every bite.
Next, slice your steak, onions and bell peppers into thin strips like you would for traditional fajitas and dice the tomato. In a separate bowl, combine the seasonings together and set aside
Once your protein, veggies and fajita seasoning is prepped, heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat and add in the steak, searing until golden brown. This should take about five to seven minutes. When the steak is finished cooking, season with the fajita mix and stir well. Then add the bell peppers, red onion, and tomatoes and cook until vegetables are tender.
While your vegetables are finishing, drain the cooked pasta using a colander and add it to the pan. Add the yogurt (or sour cream) and stir until mixed.
Meal Prep Tips for Beef Fajita Pasta
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
- Use canned diced tomatoes if you don’t have fresh tomatoes. Some great options include fire roasted diced tomatoes or rotel which would add even more heat.
Beef Fajita Pasta
- 12 oz flank steak (or your choice cut)
- 1 cup dried pasta (rotini)
- 1 each bellpepper
- 1/2 each small red onion
- 1 small roma tomato
- 1 cup frozen corn (or canned)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (or 1 tbsp fresh)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: sauce pan, skillet, knife, cutting board, tongs
- Boil pasta according to package instructions
- Slice steak into thin strips
- Slice bell peppers and red onion into thin strips. Dice tomato. Mix all seasonings together in a small bowl
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the steak and sear until golden brown (about 5 to 7 minutes)
- Add the fajita seasonings and stir well. Then add the bell peppers, red onion, and tomatoes. Saute until veggies are tender.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the skillet. Add the yogurt (or sour cream) and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Lastly, add the corn. Season with additional salt and pepper to preferred taste. Eat and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: