Instant Pot’s can be a lifesaver when you’re short on time but want to pack big flavors into a meal. It does just that with this Vietnamese inspired lemongrass beef stew. This quick to prepare and painless to cook meal is vibrating with the flavors of lemongrass (obviously), garlic, anise, clove and bay leaves and other spices. Arguably, the instant pot is the best way to make beef stew from scratch, but if you have more time, you can make this in a clay pot or a dutch oven and let it slow cook as well.
Ease of Making: Easy
How to Make Lemongrass Beef Stew
A take on a Vietnamese classic, Bo Kho (Vietnamese beef stew), this instant pot stew may just become an instant pot classic in your kitchen. Beef stews are known for their deeply braised beef and aromatic flavors. Traditionally they would be prepared in a clay pot that helps enrich the soup with the savory and sweet flavors. However, we will use an instant pot in this recipe. Instant pots cut the cooking time for beef from hours to under an hour.
How to Cook Lemongrass Beef Stew
There’s not a whole lot you have to do to cook this lemongrass stew with the exception of layering in the beef, seasonings, and water. Close the lid and turn your sealing knob to the locked position. Let the soup cook for 35 minutes before turning off the heat and giving your instant pot time to release, about 10 more minutes. Add in your bok choy and other veggies or toppings you might like and serve or portion in containers to use throughout the week,
How can I make my stew more flavorful?
Bland stew got you down? We use the Instant Pot to enrich deep flavor into our soup. Using a pressure cooker helps speed up the process of building depth.
Meal Prep Tips for Lemongrass Beef Stew Recipe
- Serve over noodles or rice for added heartiness or carbs needed to reach your goals.
- Use the beef to make a sort of beef banh mi sandwich with some pickled veggies like cucumber and carrots.
- Serve over a salad for a lighter variation of the meal.
Instant Pot Lemongrass Beef Stew
- 2 lbs chuck roast chunks
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 sticks lemongrass (4 inch length)
- 1 each onion
- 1 each clove
- 1 each star anise
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tsp salt or fish sauce
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: Instant Pot, cutting board, knife, tongs
- Slice your onions, peel your garlic cloves, crush the lemon grass
- Rinse and chop up the bok choy
- Place the beef at the bottom of the pan
- Next, add the bay leaves, seasonings onions, garlic, mushrooms, fresh basil leaves
- Then, pour over the water.
- Close the lid, turning the venting knob to the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- After it has cooked, allow 10 minutes for natural release before doing a quick release. Carefully remove the lid.
- Then, add the bok choy into the stew. Stir until it has wilted. Top it off with any other fresh veggies and sauces such as sriracha or hoisin sauce. Eat and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: