Meal prepping saves you a lot of time by making cooking efficient but that doesn’t mean that you won’t still be spending time in the kitchen. I spend a lot of time testing recipes, meal prepping, and cooking for others so I’m in the kitchen everyday. Having the right knives, pans, and kitchen tools at my disposal makes cooking so much easier and way more fun.
Anyone who has ever tried to cook with a dull knife or a crummy pan can tell you, the right kitchen tools are worth it. This list of the best kitchen tools for meal prepping balances out the needs of the kitchen with budget friendly, durable and effective products.
1. Knife: Wusthoff 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
It’s pricey, but it’s important to invest in a really good knife. Most recipes are going to involve cutting proteins, vegetables or fruits and a high quality, sharp knife not only makes life easier but also keeps you safe. Most kitchen knife cuts come from dull knives that require too much force. A knife that holds an edge well, like the Wusthoff 8 Inch Chef’s knife not only holds a very sharp edge but can last you forever if you maintain it.
Wusthof is a well-respected German knife manufacturer known for producing high-quality kitchen knives. The knives are well balanced, comfortable and designed to be the best in the kitchen. If you’re only going to buy one tool for your kitchen, a knife is a great place to start.
Price: $170 – $240
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – The full Tang, Triple Riveted handles of the classic line offer the widest range of cutlery that can satisfy every home cook or professional chef. The WÜSTHOF classic series has been our best-selling series for generations
- CHEF’S KNIFE – Features an 8” long blade, 4.5” long handle and weighs 8.5 ounce Full Bolster and Finger Guard, German Made Cook’s Knife. Ergonomic handle design made from a long-lasting synthetic material to resist fading and discoloration
2. Cutting Board: Farberware Cutting Board
Whether or not you’re updating your kitchen knife, a good quality cutting board can help speed up cutting and cleanup. Not everything in your kitchen has to be expensive to be effective. This Farberware cutting board is a great example. We’ve had cutting boards from this brand for decades and it’s tough. The cutting board is resistant to deep cuts while still be soft enough to protect your knife. Also the juice groove works wonders when cutting proteins like chicken, avoids the messy counter clean up or contamination of your other ingredients.
The Farberware cutting boards have been around for a long time and there’s a good reason for it, they’re the best for a great price. The non slip edges of the board are a life saver when you’re cutting fast and furious. The cutting board is a medium size so it fits in most cabinets very easily, is very light but it’s still a great size for meal prepping.
Farberware Cutting Board Details
Price: $12 – $13
- ANTIMICROBIAL: This board features an antimicrobial product protection which inhibits the growth of odor and stain-causing bacteria on the surface of the cutting board only This product does not protect users or others against food-borne bacteria. Always clean and wash this product thoroughly before and after each use
- REVERSIBLE AND SLIP RESISTANT: This cutting board is reversible for double the cutting surface and features a hand hole and non-slip trim for added control and stability
Shop Farberware Cutting Boards
3. Measuring Cups: Farberware Pro Stainless Steel
Meal prepping goes hand in hand with portioning and batches. Being able to size up or size down recipes as well as create balanced meals that are broken up into multiple servings is extremely important. This is especially important if as you work on your nutrition and balancing your nutrients in every meal. Some of the best kitchen tools for meal prepping will be your measuring cups. You’ll use them in almost every recipe and serving measurement so getting a good set early is worth it. The quality of the Farberware Pro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup set is fantastic and I put them through their paces every day. They’re easy to clean and look gorgeous.
Farberware Pro Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- SET INCLUDES: 4 measuring cups (1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup) and 5 measuring spoons (1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/2 tbsp, and 1 tbsp)
- EASY TO USE: measurements engraved right into the handles–won’t wash or wear off
- DURABLE: stainless steel construction withstands rigorous everyday use
- EASY TO STORE: the cups and spoons nest, taking up less space when stored, and both come with a handy ring, keeping all the pieces neatly together
Shop the Farberware Pro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set
4. Casserole Dish: Pyrex Bakeware 2 Quart
The faithful casserole dish can last some people decades so it’s worth it to get a good one. Plus casserole dishes tend to get used a lot and are subjected to a lot of high temperatures so getting a quality Pyrex dish is a good option. There are a lot of more expensive casserole dishes out there but for the majority of people, a Pyrex dish will everything you need it to do, last forever and cook food very well. What more do you need? Meal prepping in general uses many baking recipes since baking can take a while and can produce a lot of food so it makes sense to make an entire week’s lunches in one casserole dish. It’s convenient and because it’s baked, more often, it’s healthier.
Pyrex casserole dishes are also great during clean up. They’re so easy to soak and scrub without worrying about damaging the material. These dishes will save you so much time.
Pyrex Glass Casserole Dish
- HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIAL: The Pyrex Easy Grab casserole dish offers high-quality durability and reliability. Tempered glass and large handles help bring stability and safety when handling hot food or any spillable meal.
- INTUITIVE DESIGN: The Pyrex bakeware set has wide handles that help secure a firm grip to avoid slips and spills. This is the ideal tool for baking and serving all manner of dishes and entertaining. Product dimensions are 9-in x 7.25-in x 2.75-in.
- EVERYDAY USE: High-quality non-pourous glass gives you a peace of mind when storing your food, resisting stains, flavors and odors. Durable tempered glass is also dishwasher, freezer, microwave and preheated oven safe.
Shop for Pyrex casserole dishes
5. Metal Sheet Pan: Farberware Bakeware Nonstick Pans
Metal sheet pans for the oven don’t have to be fancy but good quality pans will last longer, resist rusting, and provide a better bake. Just like with the casserole dish, metal oven pans can be used for so many recipes when meal prepping. Having a good set like the Farberware nonstick pans 4 set, can make life much easier. It’ll also make clean up much easier.
Sheet pans can be very versatile and used for a wide range of cooking techniques, cuisines and meal types. Go from roasting vegetables to baking some brownies. These sheet pans are some of the best kitchen tools for meal prepping.
Farberware Bakeware Steel Nonstick Oven Pan 4 Set
Price: $21 – $24
- PFOA-FREE NONSTICK: Long-lasting nonstick on these baking trays promotes excellent food release and easy cleanup when making pizzas, cookies or even small casseroles. No Rolled Edges
- HIGH HEAT TOASTER OVEN READY: The toaster oven pans in this 4-piece pizza, cake, and cookie tray set are oven safe in toaster or conventional ovens to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Farberware 57775 Bakeware Nonstick Toaster Oven Pan Set, Includes Two 10-Inch x 7-Inch Cookie Trays – 10″ L x 7″ W (interior)/ 10.8″ x 7.5″ (exterior), one 10-Inch x 7-Inch Cake Pan – 10″ L x 7″ W (interior)/ 10.8″ x 7.5″ (exterior), one 7-Inch Pizza Pan – 7″ L x 7″ x W (interior)/ 7.5″ x 7.5″ (exterior). Steel Construction.
Shop for Farberware Nonstick Oven Pans
6. Stovetop Pan: Cuisinart Stainless Steel
One of the best kitchen tools for meal prepping is the trusty stove top pan. I cook so many meals on the stove top as it’s versatile, easy to gauge and most importantly, more fun. You can do so much with the food while it’s cooking on the stove top. Starting with butter and garlic before adding the other ingredients, adding spices as you go or even finishing off the cook in the oven. Cuisinart’s Stainless Steel Saute Pan is one the essential pans in the kitchen, in my opinion. It has lasted me over a decade and has been one of the most fun kitchen tools to cook with.
Cuisinart pans with high edges can saute or cook soup, or just help keep you cleaner. The pans are quick to clean and light for their size.
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Saute Pan
Price: $60 – $70
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: The 5.5-Quart Saute Pan with Helper Handle and Flavor Lock Lid has straight high sides and a flat cooking surface to maximise capacity. Measurement markings provide you with ease of use every time with Drip-Free pouring
- COOKING AND CLEANING: Experience professional performance with an aluminum encapsulated base that heats quickly and spreads heat evenly, eliminating any hot spots. The cooking surface does not discolor, react with food or alter flavors, providing professional results. Dishwasher safe.
Shop Cuisinart’s Stainless Steel Pan Set
7. Colander: Collapsible Colander from WYOK
Not your ordinary strainer, but a newer version. This one is great, you can rinse fruit/vegetables in it, drain pasta, and use it as a drying rack! Colanders are not most people’s first thought when considering the best kitchen tools for meal prepping but a good colander is a life saver. Anyone who has ever struggled with draining a pan without spilling or burning yourself knows what I mean. Colanders may not get used as often as a pan or a knife but when you need it to work there are not many alternatives that work nearly as well.
This collapsible colander from WYOK is cool too. It’s convenient for many different sinks as well as easier to handle when you have two hands on a hot pot and are trying not to knock over your colander as you pour the food you just made into it.
Collapsible colander from WYOK
Price: $12 – $15
- EXPANDABLE COLANDER: The colander can be expanded from 14.2 inches to 19.5 inches to fit for sinks of different sizes and hold more food and fruits.
- LARGE CAPACITY & VERSATILE: 5-quart capacity to hold and drain everything like spaghetti, pasta, potatoes, broccoli, green beans, carrots, spinach and other veggies.
- SPACE SAVING: The expandable body design make it very convenient to store in any kitchen drawer, cabinet or drying tray without taking up too much space.
- HIGH QUALITY & DURABLE: The colander is made of high quality material. It is BPA free and dishwasher safe. Heat-Resistant up to 230° F/ 110°C. Heavy-duty designed could make it repeatedly work well.
Shop for the Collapsible Colander from WYOK
8. Oven Mitts: Kitchenaid Oven Mitts
Oven mitts can be a very personal preference type of kitchen tool. What everyone is comfortable with when dealing with hundreds of degrees of heat and heavy and hot pans, can be very different. I have found through all of my different oven mitts through the years that the Kitchenaid mini oven mitts gave me the best grip and heat protection without being annoying to get off after use. I still have my decorative mitts hanging up but when I’m cooking, I’m going for the mitts that I can trust. It’s too easy to drop a casserole dish of molten hot food and have a very bad day.
Kitchenaid Mini Oven Mitts
- HEAT RESISTANT COTTON – Made of 100 percent durable, heat-resistant cotton, these oven mitts will help shield your hands from heat up-to 302 degrees Fahrenheit.
- SILICONE PRINT GRIPS – Textured, heart-shaped silicone grips ensure a more secure hold when handling hot cookware.
- SET OF TWO – Protect both hands while handling hot pots and pans. Set includes two (2) Kitchen Aid Asteroid Mini Mitts in gray, 5.5″ W x 8″ L.
Shop for Kitchenaid Mini Oven Mitts
9. Utensils: Spatula, Stirring Spoon and Whisk
Last but certainly not least is all of the spatulas, stirring spoons and whisks that’ll need as you meal prep. The best kitchen tools for meal prepping can’t be complete without them. There are a lot of good utensils out there but I have found this set to be a great choice for how effective they are, easy to clean, and they look good which can be important if they hang on the walls or are otherwise visible when not cooking.
I have especially found that whisks are a tricky utensil and finding a good one can help a lot, especially when it comes time to clean it. I like to cook with silicone, because it can handle high heat, doesn’t scratch pans, and is easy to clean. Specific brands are less important with utensils, just make sure they’re good quality silicone and you should be good.
Price: $27 – $35
- HEAT-RESISTANT, NON-MELTING, WOODEN HANDLE – The silicone cooking utensils can withstand temperatures up to 446°F, even if they are used in a high-temperature frying environment, they will not melt or produce smoke. The wooden handle feels comfortable prevents heat transfer, so you don’t have to worry about scalding the chef’s hands. These cooking utensils set is a good gift choice for mom. Note: Each handle has a slightly different color and texture
- SAFE, BPA FREE, FOOD GRADE SILICONE, ODORLESS – The kitchen utensil set are made of high quality food grade silicone.BPA free. no harmful smell. Note: It must be soaked for half an hour when it is used for the first time, and then exposed to the air for about 3 hours, the original smell of silica gel will disappear. The silicone cooking utensil is safe to use for any type of food. These kitchen utensil set does not react with food or beverages