This easy one-pot dish is simply made with chicken stewed in marinara sauce and paired with sweet potatoes and kale. This is a hearty and chunky chicken recipe that is sure to warm you up on a cold night and only takes a few simple steps.
Meal prep tips for One-Pot Chicken Marinara
- Chicken: We used chicken breast to keep it lean, however, if you prefer dark meat, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Sweet Potatoes: We used sweet potatoes, however, if you want to use regular potatoes, try them with red baby potaotes to cut your down your prep.
- Vegetables: We paired it with baby kale for extra veggies and nutrients, however, you can use other vegetables such as bell peppers, baby carrots, or even spinach.
- Marinara Sauce: If you don’t have marinara sauce, you can substitute with tomato sauce and just add some italian seasoning.
One Pot Chicken Marinara with Kale & Sweet Potato
- cutting board
- soup pot
- 12 oz chicken breast
- 1 each sweet potato
- 1/4 cup red onions (diced)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes
- Wash and peel the sweet potato and cut in 1 inch cubes
- Add oil to a soup pot on medium high heat and saute red onions until they soften
- Next, add the chicken breasts and saute for about 3 to 5 minutes until it is golden brown
- Then, add the marinara sauce and water in the pot and mix well
- Add the sweet potato and bring the liquid to a boil. After it is boiling, lower the heat to low medium and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for abot 20 minutes until the chicken fully cooks to an internal temperature of 165F
- Finally, remove the lid and stir in the baby kale until it wilts