Whether it’s cooked on the stovetop or baked in the oven, baked oatmeal is a healthy meal prep breakfast that you can combine with creative toppings for a healthy breakfast or delicious snack.
Why is Baked Oatmeal Heart-Healthy?
- It is an excellent source of soluble fiber that promotes improving LDL and cholesterol levels
- Oats contain antioxidants that can help reduce blood pressure
- Oatmeal helps you keep full by slowing down the emptying of the stomach which can help with weight loss and decrease the risk of obesity
- It is also a great vehicle for nutritious fruit toppings such as bananas, apples, pears, and strawberries
To Make Baked Oatmeal, You Will Need
- Rolled Oats: You can use any kind of oats, even instant oats
- Apricot: We used apricots, but you can also use peaches or plums
- Mixed Berries: Berries are a good source of antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties
- Honey: We used honey, but you can use any kind of sweeteners such as agave nectar or maple syrup
- Cinnamon Powder: You can also use nutmeg. Sprinkling warm spices or even adding vanilla can add a decadent sweet note to the dish
- Water: You can also use your choice of milk such as almond milk or cashew milk
- Other toppings: Mix in some peanut butter or protein powder for added protein. Add nuts or chia seeds for a crunchy texture
Steps to Make Baked Easy Baked Oatmeal
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Gather your fruit toppings. You can use frozen or freshly chopped fruit.
- Place the oatmeal and liquid in a deep baking dish.
- Layer the fruit on top and place it in the oven to bake.
- After it bakes, drizzle it with honey and sprinkle it with cinnamon powder.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Breakfast Tips for Baked Oatmeal with Fruit
- Cooking Tip: You can also prepare this in a small toaster oven or the Air Fryer (360F for 8-10 minutes).
- Storage: Store the meal in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
- To Reheat: Heat them in the microwave until they warm through.
- Extra Ingredients: If you have leftover rolled oats, you can use them in other recipes such as granola, baked oatmeal bars, or breakfast muffins. Freeze leftover fruit and save them for smoothies or other baked goods in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are apricots in season?
You can enjoy apricots starting in May and as late as August.
What do apricots taste like?
They taste like a cross between a peach and a plum. As they ripen, they will soften but do not necessarily make them sweeter.
Are apricots good for you?
Apricots are known to be rich in Vitamin A, beta-carotene, and can help promote eye health.
Oven Baked Oats with Apricots and Berries