Enjoy “Fried Chicken” without the mess of a deep-fryer. Learn how to make these fried chicken drumsticks using the Air Fryer and not have to deal with all the oil and mess of traditional deep-fried chicken.
We Love these Air Fried Chicken Drumsticks for These Reasons
- No Need for a crazy amount of oil, so there is less guilt eating them because it’s a healthier version of this comfort food
- The chicken still turns out golden brown and crunchy on the outside, and still juicy and moist on the inside
- You can make it for yourself, but also treat your family and friends to this delicious meal
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Drumsticks: We used drumsticks because they turn out moist and juicy. However, you can also use chicken thighs. If you want to keep it lean, you can use chicken tenderloins.
- Eggs and Milk: This will help bind the breadcrumbs to the chicken.
- Breadcrumbs: We used regular bread crumbs, but you can also use panko breadcrumbs.
- Vegetables: We used budget-friendly vegetable sides such as yellow squash and zucchini.
- Seasonings: We kept it simple with paprika, garlic powder, and salt. However, feel free to add other seasonings such as cayenne for a little heat and Italian seasoning if you like herb flavors.
- Oil: Spray the chicken with oil so that it can get crispy in the Air Fryer. You can also use cooking spray.
How to Make Air “Fried” Chicken Drumsticks
- First, prepare your egg wash by mixing together the eggs and milk. Next, prepare the breadcrumbs on another plate and season it.
- Start dipping the chicken in the egg wash, followed by dredging them in the breadcrumbs. Make sure they are fully coated.
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray and place them in the Air Fryer. Cook them until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Halfway through the cooking process, be sure to flip them over so that they evenly cook and get crispy on all sides.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Air “Fried” Chicken Drumsticks
- Other cook methods: If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can bake it in an oven at 425F for 40-45 minutes until it is crispy.
- To serve: Serve with a side of mashed potatoes, creamy caesar salad, rice pilaf, or other vegetable options such as green beans or asparagus.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days for the best quality.
- To Reheat: The chicken can be reheated in the microwave, but it might get soggy. So you can reheat it in the Air Fryer at 360F for 2 to 3 minutes until it is warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Air Fryer Fried Chicken healthy?
Cooking the chicken in the Air fryer is healthier than cooking it in a deep-fryer. When cooking it in the deep fryer, extra oil seeps into the breading while it cooks because it is fully submerged in oil. You can also make this recipe more healthy if you want to use lean meat such as chicken breast or tenderloins.
How do I make the chicken crispy in the air fryer?
Be sure not to overcrowd your Air Fryer. You want to make sure that enough hot air circulates each chicken drumstick. You can also pre-heat your air fryer for a few minutes before placing the chicken inside the basket so that the basket is already nice and hot.
How long can I store Air Fried chicken?
You can store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, we recommend heating it up in the air fryer at 360F for 2 to 3 minutes. It can also be reheated in the microwave, but it may not be as crispy.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken with Squash and Zucchini