Hello foodie friends! I’m excited to share this delicious and healthy honey sesame, air fryer chicken recipe that’s not only convenient and cheap but also just as good as takeout!
I also want to talk to you about the magic of sesame seeds and how they can add amazing flavor to your Asian-Inspired chicken dishes.
In addition we’ve got a tasty recipe for a honey mustard apple sauce that’s both healthy and incredibly flavorful that is perfect for adding some excitement to your meal prep routine.
Making honey sesame chicken in the Air Fryer is a healthy, convenient, and cheap way to enjoy a delicious meal at home. By following these tips, you’ll be able to cook up a tasty dish that’s just as good as takeout, but with a fraction of the cost and calories. Let’s get started!
Why this recipe is great for meal prep
- The Air Fryer is a quick and easy way to cook chicken, which is perfect for busy weeknights or meal prepping for the week ahead. Plus, making your own honey sesame sauce is cheaper than buying pre-made sauce from the store.
- Condiments can often add a lot of unnecessary calories, but this honey mustard applesauce dip is made from scratch. The ingredients include honey which is a natural sweetener that’s lower in calories than refined sugar, and it also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. And mustard is a low-calorie condiment that adds a lot of flavor without adding a lot of fat or calories.
- Last but not least, sesame seeds are a versatile and flavorful ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, but they are particularly delicious in Asian cuisine. They add a nutty, toasted flavor and a satisfying crunch that elevates any dish. Not to mention, sesame seeds are packed with nutrients like protein, fiber, and healthy fats, making them a great addition to any healthy meal prep.
- Chicken: We used boneless chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins
- Marinade: We used a simple combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic butter, and honey. However, you can add other ingredients such as hoisin sauce, gyoza sauce, and ginger powder
- Mustard sauce: This sauce is a simple mixture of yellow mustard, honey, and applesuace
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipe steps
- Cut your chicken into one inch cubes.
- Whisk together the honey sesame sauce. In a bowl, combine the chicken with the marinade and make sure they are fully coated.
- Place the chicken in the Air Fryer Basket and spray them with cooking spray. Cook them in the Air Fryer for about 20 minutes. Flip them halfway through the cooking process so that they get golden brown all around.
- Meanwhile, mix together the honey mustard applesauce dip and slice the bell peppers.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Honey Sesame Chicken
- When it comes to serving your honey sesame Air Fryer chicken recipe, I recommend pairing it with some healthy sides. We served it fresh bell pepper strips, however, steamed or roasted veggies, brown rice, or quinoa are all great options that will help balance out the sweetness of the honey sesame sauce and provide some extra nutrition.
- To store: Let the chicken cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- To Reheat: You can reheat it in the Air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes at 350F until it warms through or you can just reheat in the microwave. If the chicken seems dry after reheating, you can make extra honey sesame sauce and drizzle it over the chicken before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
How else can I use sesame seeds?
One of my favorite ways to use them is by making a simple sesame seed crust for chicken. To do this, you’ll need to mix together sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, and your favorite Asian-inspired spices, such as ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Then, coat your chicken breasts in the mixture and bake them in the oven. The result is a perfectly crispy, flavorful chicken that’s sure to impress.
Can I make this recipe without an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can! If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can bake the chicken bites in the oven at 400F for about 20-25 minutes or until it is cooked through and golden brown. Just be sure to flip the chicken bites halfway through cooking to ensure that they are cooking evenly.
How can I use the honey mustard sauce in my meal prep?
It’s also perfect for adding flavor to chicken, pork, or salmon. Simply brush it on your protein before baking or grilling. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for fresh veggies. Add apple cider vinegar and olive oil to the sauce. Blend it together and use it as a salad dressing.
Air Fryer Honey Sesame Chicken