Pho, pronounced ‘fuh’, is a hearty and comforting soup full of goodness and also has an array of health benefits. It originated in the early 20th century in Vietnam and has become a popular meal in America. The two most commonly known types are beef and chicken and served with hot broth and noodles.
Ease of Making: Easy
Traditionally, pho is cooked with lots of beef bones, extra veggies, and cooks for a long period of time in order to create the rich broth and cozy blend of flavors that we all love.
For most of us cooking at home, we may not always have the time to make it all from scratch. So here is a version using the Instant Pot as a shortcut.
The great thing about making pho at home is that you can really make it your own with your choice of noodles, choice of proteins, and pile it on with lots of fresh garnishes such as basil, green onions, freshly sliced white onions, bean sprouts, and lime.
Meal Prep Tips for Instant Pot Short Rib Noodle Soup
Traditionally, pho is served with super-thinly sliced meat that is placed in the boiling hot broth right before you eat the meal. If you decide to go with this route, it will be easier to thinly slice the protein if you freeze the protein for about 45 minutes in the freezer and then slice it. However, for this recipe, we will be cooking the meat and bones in the Instant Pot with the broth. The bones and flavors from the meat will add to that rich flavor broth that we enjoy from traditional pho.
Pho is traditionally made with thin rice noodles, but if you’re looking for a pantry friendly ingredient, then you can use spaghetti just like in this recipe.
Now the important part of getting the “pho” broth flavor is making sure you use the spices normally used in pho. Star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, and coriander seeds. Now if you don’t normally use all these ingredients in all your daily cooking and don’t want to waste money on ingredients for a one time use, then be sure to at least have cloves and cardamom in the recipe.
Lastly, the garnish toppings are what make the soup and make it feel and taste fresh against all the richness from the broth, meat, and noodles.
Instant Pot Short Rib Noodle Soup
- cutting board
- Instant Pot
- 4-6 pieces short ribs
- 1/4 cup green onions (diced)
- 1/2 each white onions (sliced)
- 3 each whole garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 each lemongrass stick
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups bok choy (cut into chunks)
- 2 each whole fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 each whole clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 oz dry spaghetti pasta
- Place all the ingredients in the instant pot (but not the pasta). (Note: Crush the lemongrass with a mallett prior to placing in the pot. )
- Close the lid and place the valve in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure setting for 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside
- When th beef has finished cooking, let it do a natural release for about 10 minutes before carefully switching the valve to a quick release. Carefully remove the lid.
- Serve the soup on top of the noodles. Garnish with more fresh basil and other fresh veggies such as bell peppers.
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: