Oftentimes on weeknights we crave Asian food and the thought of ordering out definitely crosses our minds. However, with our easy Thai red beef curry recipe, we can skip the delivery fees and have a yummy Asian inspired meal in no time. Combining flavors of red curry paste, coconut milk and basil, this recipe is sure to satisfy those delivery food cravings and provide a much healthier option.
How to Make Thai Red Beef Curry
We love a one-pot dish and this Thai red beef curry is definitely one of our favorites. By simmering the ingredients at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, you are able to break down the beef and make it super tender. The combination of sweet and heat flavors make this seriously delicious.
Currys are also great because you can throw in whatever vegetables you have on hand and make this meal even more nutritious. This recipe doesn’t call it for it but we do like adding in green beans or squash if we’ve got it on hand.
How to Cook Thai Red Beef Curry
Start by prepping your ingredients: slice beef, onions and bell peppers into thin strips and mince your garlic. Once that is done, add oil to a soup pot on medium high heat and cook your onions until soft and translucent. Next, add your beef and garlic and stir well. Cook all of this for two to three minutes until golden brown.
Once your beef is golden brown, pour in the coconut milk, brown sugar, red curry paste, and fish sauce. Ensure that everything is mixed extremely well and bring the pot to a boil, stirring carefully for one to two minutes to minimize an overflow. After your mixture has started to boil, reduce the heat and simmer your curry for another 20-30 minutes until your meat is tender.
When your steak is tender, mix in the basil leaves and top it off with fresh bell peppers. Serve with rice or cauliflower rice and the juice of a lime wedge.
Meal Prep Tips for Thai Red Beef Curry
- Substitute in cauliflower rice for a lower-carb option.
- Double the batch and freeze it for future use when those delivery cravings hit and you’re short on time.
Thai Red Beef Curry
- 1 lb beef (any kind) thinly sliced
- 1/2 each white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 each lime
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: cutting board, knife, soup pot, tongs/spatula
- Slice onions and bell peppers into thin strips. Mince garlic
- Slice beef into thin strips
- Add oil to a soup pot on medium high heat. Saute the onions until they soften and turn translucent.
- Next, add the beef and garlic and mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they become golden brown.
- Then, pour in the coconut milk, brown sugar, and red curry paste, and fish sauce.
- Mix everything really well. Bring the pot to a boil and carefully continue to stir for 1 to 2 minutes (making sure it doesn't overflow)
- Once it reaches a rolling boil, bring it down to a simmer and cook for another 20-30 minutes until meat is tender.
- At the very end, mix in the basil leaves and top it off with fresh bell peppers. Serve with rice and juice of a lime wedge.
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: