The contrasting flavors and textures of steak and watermelon salad makes for a truly exciting meal. The unlikely combination is unique and brings a surprise to the palette and your meal routine. The steak can be easily prepared in advance and the watermelon cut up so the meal prep is quick and easy. This is a great salad for nutrition as it provides its own dressing from the flavors of the marinade to the juice of the watermelon. The sweet and savory combo is a sure win for anyone but especially salad lovers.
The nutrition of the meal is as fantastic as the flavors. The steak provides good amounts of protein, good for muscle building and weight management, while the watermelon provides antioxidants. The B12 and iron from the steak will help with nerves and oxygen in the blood cells. The greens and tomatoes provide fiber and additional nutrients on top. This light and healthy meal will leave you full from the protein in the steak and hydrated from the fruits and vegetables. Perfect for a work day lunch or a summer evening.
Preparing the beef is the only potentially tough part of this meal and practice makes perfect. Searing the steak can take great timing and heat management. Everyone is different and the preferred level of doneness is up to you so learn how your grill heats up and cooks and you’ll cook perfect steaks without even trying. Slicing the steak is an important component as well. Cutting against the grain will allow for easy bites when you eat. When you cut with the grain you find that you are tearing the beef when you bite into it rather than having clean breaks. You can identify the grain of the steak by looking closely at the strands that run through it.
Steak and Watermelon Salad
- cutting board
- indoor grill pan
- 12 oz flank steak
- 1 cup watermelon (cubed)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 4 cups salad mix
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Marinate the flank steak with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then coat it with olive oil
- Pre-heat the indoor grill pan on medium-high heat
- Sear the steak on each side for about 3 to 5 minutes until it reaches your desired doneness
- Then, assemble your salad by mixing the cherry tomatoes and watermelon in a bowl. Add the salad mix and dress it with your favorite salad dressing to your preferred taste (2 tbsp of dressing per serving)
- When the beef is finished, set it aside to cool for 5 minutes
- Slice the beef cross wise and add it to the salad mix