Crispy Chicken With Cajun Squash Spirals
- 4 each chicken breasts
- 1 each large egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 12 oz butternut squash spirals
- 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 each green bell pepper
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 tbsp butter (extra for squash spirals)
- 1 tbsp flour (extra for squash spirals)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: cutting board, knife, mallet (meat tenderizer), bowls, plates, skillet pan, tongs, spatula
- Dice onions and bell peppers, mince the garlic, and slice the mushrooms
- Then prepare the cajun seasoning by mixing all the spices together (paprika, oregano, thyme, onion powder, salt)
- Then prepare the chicken: Place plastic wrap on top of the chicken breast. Pound it flat with the flat side of a mallet (meat tenderizer), working from the inside out, until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Prepare the batter: In a bowl, mix together the flour, ice cold water, and egg
- Prepare the breadcrumbs: In a bowl, add half of the cajun seasonings to the bread crumbs. Save the other half of the seasonings for the squash spirals
- Pre-heat a skillet with 2 tbsp of oil on medium high heat. Then dip the chicken breast into the batter and dredge it in the breadcrumbs. When the pan is heated, pan fry the chicken breast on each side until golden brown and fully cooked (about 3 to 5 minutes on each side).
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pan. Using the same pan, add the onions and bell peppers. Saute until they soften. Then add the mushrooms and stir until they soften and turn golden brown. Add the cajun seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Next, add the corn. Add butter and flour and mix well until the flour turns into a paste.
- Then, add heavy cream and let it simmer until it thickens.
- Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and add the butternut squash spirals.
- Mix well until the sauce completely covers the butternut squash spirals.
- Slice the chicken into bite size pieces and serve with the squash spirals. Eat and enjoy!