Making your Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is a cost-effective way to meal prep rather than buying pre-made chicken at a store or getting it from a restaurant.
Why Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is Great for Meal Prep
- By making your own shredded bbq chicken in the Instant Pot, you can control your portion size and can control the ingredients to ensure that they are healthy.
- Using the Instant Pot to cook your BBQ chicken also saves a lot of time because the pressure cooking feature allows it to cook quickly and thoroughly.
- You can also make a large batch and freeze them in portioned containers for later use which makes it a convenient option for busy nights when you don’t have time to cook from scratch.
- The shredded BBQ chicken can be served in a variety of meals. We enjoy eating it with roasted vegetables, in sandwiches or wraps, or even on top of salads. You can use this protein dish in multiple meals throughout the week without getting tired of it.
Here’s What You Need to Make BBQ Chicken
Making your own shredded BBQ chicken in the Instant Pot allows you to control the ingredients and flavors to your liking.
- Chicken: We used boneless chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins if you prefer leaner protein.
- BBQ Sauce: You can make your own BBQ sauce, however, we used a store bought version for the sake of time. Just be sure to read the ingredient labels and pick a BBQ sauce that is less in sugar and sodium.
- Broth: We used chicken broth, but you can also use water. You just need a little bit of liquid for this recipe
- Seasonings: To enhance the flavor, we added garlic powder, paprika, and a little bit of liquid smoke to add the “BBQ flavor”
Easy Steps for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Combine the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Seal the lid and set the timer for 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cook time finishes, carefully release the steam and open the lid.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. Then drain the excess liquid.
- Add more BBQ sauce to the chicken to your liking.
- Enjoy with vegetables or make a sandwich.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Use boneless chicken beause they cook quickly and are easy to shred. You won’t have to deal with separating the bones.
- Double the recipe if you want to freeze extra portions for a later time. Just be sure to label and date the containers.
- Allow the chicken to cool for a fewminutes before shredding to make it easier to handle so that you don’t burn your hands. You can also use a hand mixer on low speed to shred the meat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes, absolutely, you’ll just have to adjust the cooking time accordingly to make sure it cooks thoroughly, approximately an additional 10 extra minutes per pound when using frozen meats.
Can I reheat Instant Pot BBQ Chicken in the microwave?
Yes, you can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I use any type of BBQ Sauce?
Yes, you can use any type of BBQ Sauce. There are many different flavors such as the traditional tangy flavors that is tomato based, smoky bbq sauce that comes from smoked paprika or liquid smoke, spicy bbq sauce that has a kick to it from cayenne pepper, or honey bbq sauce that is sweet from the addition of honey.
Shredded BBQ Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Corn