Tender, melt in your mouth, shredded beef that is comfortingly satisfying for the cooler weather.
Ease of Making: Easy
Here’s a savory and rich beef ragu simmered in diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasonings, and fresh herbs that is perfect for the fall comfort meal. Enjoy it over a bed of pasta or mashed potatoes.
This is the perfect dish to batch cook for the colder weather. It is quick and easy to make but tastes like it’s been simmering all day long. Make it a weekly staple for your family dinners or bring it to holiday gatherings and make it the new family favorite.
How to Cook Beef Ragu in the Instant Pot
It’s easy to make a tender roast in the Instant Pot, all you need to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Turn on the Saute Setting and start browning your meat followed by adding the aromatics such as onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle in the seasonings.
- Add any liquid. In this recipe we used diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and dry red wine.
- Close the Instant Pot and seal it.
- Press the meat/stew setting and set your timer.
- After it finishes cooking, carefully release the quick release for the steam (following the manufacturer’s instructions).
Meal prep tips for Instant Pot Beef Ragu
How much meat can you cook at one time?
For a 6 quart size, you can fit 4-6 lbs of meat. However, you will need to take into consideration the other ingredients such as the cooking liquids and additional veggies. For this recipe, we kept it around 2 to 3 lbs.
Does the meat need to be completely covered in liquid?
You normally will need at least one cup of liquid. The protein itself already contains water that will sweat out, and there is additional moisture from the vegetables.
What can you serve with Beef Ragu?
We love to eat it with egg noodles, but you can also serve it with veggie noodles such as spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash for a low-carb spin on this recipe. Creamy polenta is also a nice change from pasta or you can serve it on top of mashed potatoes or fluffy rice pilaf.
What to do with leftover beef ragu?
This Instant Pot beef ragu freezes really well and can keep up in the freezer for up to three months. However, you can also make sandwiches with the leftovers or add them as a topping to your baked potatoes.
Instant Pot Beef Ragu
- cutting board
- Instant Pot
- 2.5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast (cut into 2 inch chunks)
- 4 each garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup white onion (diced)
- 1 each small carrot (diced)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 each bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place the Instant Pot on the saute setting on high heat
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and add oil to the Instant Pot
- In small batches, add the beef and cook on all sides until evenly browned (about 3 to 4 minutes). After each batch has browned, remove it from the pot and set it aside for later.
- Next, add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Stir it all around for 2 minutes
- Then, add the tomato paste and stir for another minute. Afterwards, pour in the wine and scrape any of the browned bits from the bottom of the pot
- Finally, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, ground cinnamon, and bay leaves
- Carefully add the beef chunks back into the liquid
- Turn off the saute setting and select the manual setting to adjust the pressure to high and set the time for 30 minutes. Make sure the valve is in the sealed position
- After it has finished cooking, follow the manufacturer's directions for quick-release of the pressure
- Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and use two forks to shred the meat. Place it in a deep serving dish and pour the remaining sauce on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with fresh pasta, rice pilaf, or mashed potatoes. Garnish with additional freshly chopped basil
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: