Roasted chicken and green bean casserole are two classic American dishes in and of themselves but together the two provide a nutrient-packed meal with a fantastic balance of protein, carbs, and fats. Many people often look to French’s or Campbell’s green bean casserole recipes but we prefer our, made from scratch cream base coupled with fresh oven-roasted chicken to bring delight to our weekly meal prep menu.
Green beans are a fantastic addition to your diet, providing large amounts of Vitamin C, A, and K, in addition to other valuable minerals. Green beans are also great for a heart healthy diet considering they have zero cholesterol, low sodium (6.6mg per 1 cup) and soluble fiber.
Ease of Making: Medium
How to Cook Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
It’s easy to make our recipe for green bean casserole ahead, all you need to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Cook the onions, mushrooms and garlic until softened
- Make your roux, with butter and milk and add to onion and mushroom mixture
- Stir in the rest of your ingredients, except green beans and cook until the concoction has thickened
- Add in your green beans and stir well
- Finally, add to a baking dish and top with cheese to bake
Meal Prep Tips for Roasted Chicken with Green Bean Casserole
How long does roasted chicken last in the fridge?
Roasted chicken can last up to 4 days in the fridge. It can also lend itself to many other easy recipes as well like: buffalo chicken salad, regular chicken salad or add it to the top of your lunchtime greens for a quick protein.
How long to roast a chicken?
Roast times depend on the cut of chicken you are using, in this recipe we are using chicken quarters. We suggest roasting at 425° for 35 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
What can I substitute for cream of mushroom soup in a green bean casserole?
- In our green bean casserole recipe we make our cream base from scratch instead of a can but you could certainly use either. If you’re wondering, what to substitute for cream of mushroom soup in a green bean casserole, look no further. You’ve got several options for substitutions and can still be known for the best green bean casserole in town.
- 1 can of cream of celery soup
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 ounces of light cream cheese, 1 12-oz pack of mushrooms sliced, 2tbls butter, and 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of milk and 4 oz of cream cheese
- Play around with your favorite substitutions until you get your flavor right. You can even add chicken broth to get a chicken forward flavor if that’s what you’re looking for.
How to steam green beans for homemade green bean casserole:
Our recipe calls for fresh, not steamed green beans for our green bean casserole. This allows for the green beans to bake in the oven in the mix of the other ingredients, absorbing flavors without becoming soggy.
How do you thicken green bean casserole?
If you notice your green bean casserole is a bit on the runny side, you can add in a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with a little bit of water), one tablespoon at a time until your mix reaches your desired consistency.
How to freeze green bean casserole: (Does it freeze well)
Our easy green bean casserole is perfect for freezing. Should you decide to make an extra, or freeze what you have on hand, you’ll find that green bean casserole freezes well. When you’re ready to reheat your frozen casserole, simply pop it up in the oven for 40 minutes at 350°. Cook times may vary depending on the size and type of your dish.
What to do with leftover green bean casserole
Not everyone or every family can put down an entire casserole dish of green beans in one sitting, so it’s understandable that you may be wondering what you can do with your leftovers. Here are a few ideas:
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Add to hash
Roasted Chicken with Green Bean Casserole
- 4 each chicken leg quarters
- 12 oz fresh green beans
- 1/2 each small white onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 each garlic clove
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: cutting board, knife, 2 baking dishes, parchment paper, saute pan, tongs
- Pre-Heat oven to 425F
- Season chicken with oregano, thyme, paprika, and half of the garlic powder, onion powder, salt. Drizzle with olive oil. Place it in a baking dish lined with parchment paper
- Dice onions, slice mushrooms, and mince garlic
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F
- Meanwhile, add oil to a saute pan on medium high heat. Saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until they soften.
- Then, add butter and flour to make a roux (paste). Stir until it is completely mixed.
- Next, add heavy cream and the rest of the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Simmer until it thickens into half the amount. Then, add the green beans and mix well.
- Place the green beans in a baking dish that has been greased. Top it off with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven once all items have cooked. Eat and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: