Chicken Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
- 4 each chicken breasts
- 1 each large egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup onion (diced)
- 1 each green bell pepper
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour (for roux in gravy)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: cutting board, knife, bowls, plates, skillet, large pot, tongs spatula
- Dice onions and bell peppers, and slice mushrooms. Cut baby potatoes in half.
- Prepare the batter: In a bowl, mix together the flour, ice cold water, and egg
- Prepare the breadcrumbs: In a bowl, add half the paprika, garlic powder, onion, and salt to the breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat a skillet with 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Then dip the chicken breast into the batter and dredge it in the bread crumbs. When the pan is heated, pan fry the chicken breast on each side until golden brown and fully cooked (about 5 to 7 minutes on each side-check for an internal temperature of 165F).
- Meanwhile, start boiling the potatoes in a large pot. Boil for about 20-25minutes. When they're cooked, a fork should easily slide into the potatoes, and the potatoes should almost, but not totally, fall apart.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pan. Using the same pan, add the onions and bell peppers. Saute until they soften. Then add the mushrooms and stir until they soften and turn golden brown. Add the seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Next, add the butter and flour and mix until it makes a roux (a paste). Then add the heavy cream and chicken broth. Simmer until the gravy thickens.
- Once the potatoes are boiled, add sour cream, butter, and salt. Mash the potatoes until you have reached a creamy consistency.
- Serve the chicken and mashed potatoes with the gravy. Eat and enjoy!