Kebabs are one of the tastiest dishes stacked with tender marinated meats and bright colored veggies. Not only do bell peppers and cherry tomatoes add great flavor to this dish, but they are also full of essential nutrients that are good for your health. Bell peppers and cherry tomatoes are great sources of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium. A diet rich in vegetables can help reduce the risk of developing heart disease and certain types of cancers. The fibers help keep your digestive tract working properly. Along with being full of nutrients, they are low-calorie and deliver a satisfying bite.
Ease of Making: Easy
What I love about kebabs is that there are so many ways to make them and so many flavors from all over the world that you can incorporate. They are easy to make and can be cooked on a grill, in the oven, or in an air fryer just like these chicken kebabs. Serve them with your choice of sides such as a salad, in a pita, on top of a bed of rice pilaf, or additional veggies.
Meal prep tips for Air Fryer Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs
The Air Fryer is great for meal prep. It is the perfect size for roasting veggies and cooks large portions of protein. Therefore, you can batch cook multiple food items without having to pre-heat the oven and waste all that oven space.
The air fryer essentially is like an amped-up oven. The difference is that it has a fan and it utilizes a more compact space to facilitate fast cooking. The fan circulates the air around making food items crisp which is similar to what you could get from deep frying, minus the extra added fat. With normal baking ovens, there is a lot of humidity, so it’s difficult for an outer crisp to occur.
Sometimes using a leaner cut of meat such as chicken breasts can result in dry tough meat. Which is why marinating your meats prior to cooking is a good technique to prevent it from drying out and making it chewy. Marinades have acidic components that help tenderize meats and make them juicy. They also help reduce the time of cooking.
This recipe’s marinade incorporates some flavor spices such as paprika, cumin, turmeric powder, and minced garlic which all offer antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help boost immunity.
If you’re using wooden skewers be sure to soak them in water for at least 10 minutes to prevent them from scorching.
Layer the ingredients on the skewers and place them in the air fryer basket.
Side salads and pita bread with dip make great side dishes for kebabs.
Air Fryer Chicken Kebabs
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts)
- 1 each red bell pepper
- 1 each small red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey note: you can use agave nectar or sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp juice of a lemon
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: skewers, cutting board, knife, air fryer (or oven)
- If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 10 minutes
- Cut the chicken into 1.5 chunks. Mix together the marinade and marinate the chicken overnight or at least 30 minutes prior to cooking
- If using the oven, preheat oven to 425F
- Cut the bell peppers and red onion into chunks
- Assemble the kebabs using skewers. Layer the chicken with the veggies.
- Place in the air fryer and cook at 360F for 15-18 minutes (until internal temperature is 165F). If using the oven, cook for 20-25 minutes, until the outer edges are golden brown and chicken is cooked through an internal temperature of 165F)
- Serve with your choice of sides and sauces. Examples: salad, pita, couscous, rice pilaf, or tortillas, etc
Sign up here to see the grocery list and prep document for this week’s chosen meals on our Member’s Program.
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: