Quesadillas are a go-to option when you want something tasty and fast. Most people almost always have tortillas and cheese in the refrigerator, so quesadillas make for a great catch all meal that you can throw in whatever proteins and veggies you have on hand, heat up and enjoy. One of our favorite combinations of flavors in a quesadilla is shrimp paired with mushrooms, spinach, mozzarella cheese and a few other seasonings.
Ease of Making: Easy
Not only do we think this is the best shrimp quesadilla recipe out there, but this entire recipe can all be made in one pan and takes less than 20 minutes to come together. No waiting, no mess.
How to Make Shrimp Quesadillas
First, you want to start by sauteing the mushrooms and spinach together in your pan. You only need to cook these until they are softened, about 1-2 minutes. Next, the seasoning and shrimp is added and you’ll cook until the shrimp is pink in color and no longer translucent. Shrimp fully cooks in 3-5 minutes and can overcook quickly so keep an eye on them and flip halfway through. Remove the mixture from the pan and wipe clean.
Using an oil or fat of your choice, butter, avocado oil, etc., place the tortilla in the pan and layer with cheese followed by shrimp, more cheese and the top tortilla. Once your tortilla has reached a golden brown on the bottom, use your spatula to peek under a corner of the bottom tortilla to see its progress, you can flip your quesadilla. Cook on this side until golden brown and then remove from heat and cut into halves or quarters.
We like to top ours with all the fixings: sour cream, guacamole, pico and/or salsa, but the toppings are completely up to you and your likings!
Shrimp Quesadilla FAQ
What can you put in a quesadilla?
You can put almost anything inside of a quesadilla, as long as it’s not a liquid, the tortilla should support most ingredients.
What are the best tortillas for quesadillas?
Flour tortillas are best for quesadillas because they provide a nice crisp layer for your ingredients and won’t break apart if you fold them or flip them.
How do you elevate a quesadilla?
To elevate a quesadilla you’ll want to use high quality ingredients. Think lobster, duck, etc.
What to serve with quesadillas?
You can serve your quesadilla with a bit of lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, pico and/or salsa.
Meal prep tips for Shrimp Quesadillas
- Pre-portion your selected toppings of salsa, guacamole, or sour cream ahead of time so that when it’s time to grab and go, you can in fact grab and go.
- Heat your quesadilla up in a toaster oven, standard oven, or air fryer to regain it’s crispiness if you’re using this as a prepped meal.
- 12 oz shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 each tortillas
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pre-Cook (Mise En Place):
- Gather your equipment: knife, cutting board, skillet, spatula
- Add oil to a skillet on medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms and spinach until they soften.
- Next, add the shrimp and season with chili powder and salt. Saute until the shrimp fully cooks (about 3 to 5 minutes). Remove the shrimp mixture from the skillet.
- Carefully wipe down the skillet to remove any residue. Then heat some butter in the pan on low to medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet and then layer the ingredients: cheese, shrimp mixture.
- Top with a little more cheese and the top layer tortilla. Flip the quesadilla to toast the other side.
- Remove the skillet and slice into quarters. Serve with choice of toppings such as pico de gallo, sour cream, or quacamole. Eat and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: