This Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe comes together quickly and is a flavorful and budget-friendly meal.
Not only is this Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe full of nutrients and high in protein, it is also made with pantry-friendly and budget-friendly ingredients.
Why is This Chicken Soup Recipe Great for Meal Prep?
- It is a one-pot recipe that helps with clean-up duties.
- You can use any part of the chicken that you have on hand.
- The recipe includes pantry-friendly ingredients such as beans, tomato sauce, broth, and simple seasoning.
- You can make a large batch and freeze it.
- You can throw in extra veggies that you have on hand.
Ingredients to Make This Mexican Chicken Soup
- Chicken: Use any cut. We used lean chicken breast, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs, chicken tenderloins, and even ground chicken.
- Beans: We used pinto beans, but you can also use kidney beans or black beans.
- Tomato Sauce: If you don’t have tomato sauce, you can use leftover marinara sauce, tomato paste, or even freshly diced tomatoes.
- Vegetables: The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any kind of vegetables you have on hand, whether they are fresh, frozen, or canned.
- Broth: We used chicken broth, but you can also use vegetable broth.
- Toppings: We topped ours off with sliced avocado for an added healthy fat and chopped cilantro for fresh herb flavors.
Simple Steps for this One Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Heat your soup pot and saute the onions until they soften.
- Next, add the chicken, tomato sauce, broth, ad seasonings.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. After it reaches a boil, lower the head and simmer with a cover on the pot.
- Simmer until the chicken is fully cooked and is fork tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and shred it into small pieces.
- Add the chicken back to the pot, along with the vegetables and beans and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Top off the soup with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for One Pot Mexican Chicken Soup
- Ingredient Swaps: Make it vegetarian/vegan by omitting the chicken and just adding more beans and using vegetable broth. Make it keto by eliminating the corn and using non-starchy vegetables such as celery, zucchini, or yellow squash.
- Leftover Leverage: Leftover uncooked chicken breasts can be frozen and saved for another recipe. You can also use it as a salad topping or make it into a chicken salad. Cilantro can be used up in scrambled eggs or added to salsa.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days for the best quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
What toppings can I add to the soup?
For this soup recipe, you can add shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and even sour cream
Can I use chicken stock in place of chicken broth?
Yes, both can be used interchangeably. The only difference is that broth is made from meat and vegetables, but stock is made with bones. For this recipe, either one will work just fine.
Can I use leftover rotisserie chicken?
Absolutely, however, you still want the soup to simmer for at least 12 to 15 minutes so that all the flavors and seasonings blend well together to give you a delicious broth.
One Pot Mexican Chicken Soup