Here’s a deliciously seasoned plant-based soft taco with lots of southwestern flavor appeal.
If you’re trying to incorporate more plant-based items in your meal prep during the week, then you’ll love this black bean and corn soft taco.
Why You Need to Make This
- The black beans are enhanced with crisp bell peppers, sweet corn, and bright cilantro.
- It comes together in less than 15 minutes in the skillet or you can roast it in a sheet pan
- It uses budget-friendly ingredients helping you save money during the week
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
- Tortillas: We used flour tortillas, however, you can also use corn tortillas if you want to keep this gluten-free. If you want to keep it low carb, use jicama sliced tortillas
- Black Beans: Use any beans of your choice such as pinto beans
- Bell Pepper: You can use any color. We used red bell peppers for this recipe because of the bright colors and the sweetness of the peppers
- Red Onions: You can also use white onions or yellow onions. We just used red onions to add purple colors.
- Seasonings: We’re seasoning this meal with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and salt
How to Prepare These High-Protein Black Bean Soft Tacos
Sheet Pan Method:
- Dice up all of the vegetables. Add the black beans, corn, onions, and bell peppers into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle in the seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the ingredients in a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350F.
Stove Top Method:
- Add oil to a heated skillet and start with sauteeing the onions and bell peppers.
- Next, add the seasonings, black beans, and corn, and mix them together until they heat through.
- Serve the black bean filling inside the tortillas.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Black Bean and Corn Tacos
- To Serve: Serve with a side salad and your choice of dressing. You can also enjoy these tacos with a side of coleslaw, jicama and mango salsa, Spanish rice, or even with chips and salsa
- Toppings: You can also top your tacos with sliced avocados, shredded cheese, or sour cream
- Flavor Tip: Top them off with chopped cilantro and the juice of a lime to freshen up the meal
- To Store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. Keep the black bean filling separate from the tortillas so that they don’t get soggy
- Leftovers: If you make a larger batch of the black bean filling use it as a dip with crispy tortilla chips or serve it as a topping for salads
Frequently Asked Questions
Are bean tacos healthy?
Yes, they are high in protein and fiber which help keep you full and promote weight loss.
Are black beans good for you?
Black beans are rich in antioxidants which help promote cell health and promote heart health. They are also a good source of Iron, Folate, Vitamin A, and Calcium.
How many calories in a serving of cooked black beans
A ½ cup serving provides about 114 calories, 8 grams of protein, and 20 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of fiber.
Black Bean and Corn Soft Tacos
Sheet Pan Method:
Stove Top Method