Let’s keep your basic baked chicken breasts from being boring for your next meal prep. We’re keeping it tasty with this cilantro lime pesto marinade, paired with perfect sides and condiments. Great for lunch or a chicken dinner with style.
Not only do you get a good protein source from the chicken, but you also get an additional protein and fiber load from the tasty black beans.
To top it off, your tastebuds are going to be feeling fresh with the sweet and savory strawberry salsa.
Now we know what you are thinking…” Wow, that’s a lot to meal prep!”. Don’t worry, we’ll show you how to make this beautiful dish in no time.
Gather the Following Ingredients
Ingredients For the Chicken and Cilantro Lime Pesto:
- Chicken: We used boneless chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins.
- Fresh Cilantro: If you don’t have cilantro, you can swap it out with green onions
- Lime: You can also use oranges or lemons
- Pine Nuts: If you don’t have pine nuts, you can use whatever nuts you have on hand
- Garlic: We used fresh garlic, but you can also use garlic paste or garlic powder
Ingredients For the Strawberry Salsa and Salad Mix:
- Strawberries: Mango or pineapple are also good fruits to use in salsa
- Cherry Tomatoes: We like cherry tomatoes because they are easy to slice into small pieces, but feel free to use regular tomatoes
- Red Onions: Use whatever onions you have on hand, including shallots
- Cilantro: You can also use green onions
- Lime: Oranges or lemon can also be used
- Spring Mix: Choose any kind of lettuce mix you like
- Black Beans: Pinto beans will also work
How to Bake Cilantro Lime Chicken:
- Make the Cilantro Pesto: In a blender, add the cilantro, pine nuts, juice of a lime, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Marinate the Chicken: Place the chicken in a mixing bowl. Pour in the cilantro pesto that you just blended. Marinate the chicken for at least 10 minutes.
- Bake the Chicken: Place the chicken on a sheet pan. Bake the chicken in the oven for 25-30 minutes until it is fully cooked. Meanwhile, prepare the strawberry salsa, salad, and black beans.
Reference the recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Meal Prep Tips for Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken Dinner
- Cook method variations: You can also cook the chicken in a small toaster oven or in the Air Fryer (cook at 360F for 20-25 minutes). Another option is to grill it on an outdoor grill or on an indoor grill pan which will give it a nice char and caramelized flavor.
- To Serve: After the chicken cooks, let it rest for a few minutes before slicing it into bite-size pieces. This chicken dinner brings so much color and excitement to the plate.
- To Store: Store it in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Keep the salsa and beans separate from the spring mix to prevent the spring mix from getting soggy.
- To Reheat: You can serve this meal chilled, but if want to reheat the chicken, you can warm it up in the microwave until it is heated through.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to serve with cilantro lime chicken?
If you have extra cilantro, you can make cilantro lime rice or serve the chicken with flour or corn tortillas.
Can you use lemon juice instead of lime juice?
Yes, they can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
How long can you keep marinated chicken in the refrigerator?
You can keep it for 24 hours, after that, any uncooked marinade should also be discarded.
Oven Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken with Strawberry Salsa and Black Bean Salad
Chicken and Pesto
Salad and Black Beans