Oven baked salsa chicken really couldn’t be an easier dish to make, which is why we love it. So when you’re short on time but still craving something homemade, opt for this recipe and you won’t be disappointed. You can prep this entire meal in under ten minutes, which is fantastic for busy work nights. Another option you gave with this recipe is to pop all of it in a crock pot and let it cook for about four hours while you work and the flavors combine in a magnificent way.
Ease of Making: Easy
However, if you have extra time, you can even try making a homemade salsa to accompany the chicken, otherwise any jar of chunky salsa will work. Simply dump and go.
How to Make Baked Salsa Chicken
Salsa chicken can be made with most cuts of chicken but we think chicken thighs work best. Thighs provide a more tender and rich experience for this Mexican inspired dish. Another great thing about this dish is that you can use your favorite salsa and cater the heat to your liking. Mild, medium, and hot salsas will all work with this recipe.
If you’re wondering what to serve with our baked salsa chicken, try these ideas:
- One pan taco rice
- Cauliflower rice with rainbow veggies
- Cauliflower rice
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Mexican style corn
- In a lettuce wrap
- In a tortilla
How to Cook Salsa Chicken
To make our delicious salsa chicken, preheat your oven to 400℉ and prep your bell pepper by slicing into thin strips. Take your jar of salsa and cover the bottom of your baking dish with about one cup of chunky salsa. Layer on your chicken and season with garlic powder and salt. Top the entire dish with the rest of the salsa and bell peppers.
Your salsa chicken should bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F. You can also take out your chicken five minutes early and top with cheese, returning to the oven to melt over the dish.
Meal Prep Tips for Salsa Chicken
- Salsa chicken is great for tacos, quesadillas or on top of salad. Shred the chicken and incorporate it into one of your favorites.
- Pre-portion sides of guacamole, sour cream and pico to grab on the go with your salsa chicken.
- Use a crockpot and cook for four hours to have a versatile shredded chicken option to throw into meals.
Easy Baked Salsa Chicken
- cutting board
- baking dish
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 each bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with half of the salsa
- Arrange the chicken on top of the salsa. Season with garlic powder and salt
- Pour the rest of the salsa on top of the chicken
- Place the bell peppers on top
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F
- Remove from the oven. Slice into bite size pieces. Serve with tortillas or on top of a bed of rice.