Stir-frys are a weekday favorite no matter what you put inside. They are great because you can typically take items that you have on hand, throw them in a pan to get cooking and have a quick, full meal in a matter of minutes. For this stir fry recipe, we opted to go with a tangy pineapple chicken combo that features peppers as well. Pineapple and red peppers are too flavors you see a lot together, think chicken kebabs.
Ease of Making: Easy
Stir-frys are also great for substitutions if you don’t have one of the ingredients in your fridge or freezer. No chicken? No problem! Sub in any protein like beef, shrimp, tofu, etc to pull this dish together.
How To Make Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
Making chicken stir fry from scratch is as easy as throwing the chicken and vegetable you’ve got lying around in a pan and cooking until perfection. Diced chicken breast is commonly found in stir frys but we’ve opted to use a chicken thigh to impart more flavor and tenderness in our dish.
How to Cook Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
First, start by seasoning your chicken and cut it into small pieces. Then cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Next, you’ll want to add in the stir fry sauce from the next step, top with your bell peppers and sesame oil and enjoy.
How to Make Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
Making stir fry sauce from scratch is as easy as combining several classic Asian pantry items together in your dishes like hoisin, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Hoisin is a thick Chinese sauce that is salty and sweet in flavor. Many people use it to make Chinese inspired sauces or as a dipping sauce for proteins and vegetables. Sesame oil is extremely powerful in taste so it’s best to add in small amounts or you’ll end up what tastes overwhelming like sesame and coat your mouth in the oil.
To make the sauce: simply add your hoisin and soy sauce to the pan of cooking chicken and bring to a boil while it thickens.
Meal Prep Tips for Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
- Serve up our pineapple chicken stir fry with a variety of sides like rice, cauliflower rice, noodles or even put it in a lettuce wrap for a fantastic low carb option.
- Cut all your vegetables the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Use a thinly cut piece of chicken or chunks of chicken. This helps reduce cook time and gets those warm pineapple bits of stir fry to your mouth even sooner.
- Use canned or fresh pineapple in this recipe instead of frozen.
Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
- cutting board
- 12 pz boneless chicken thighs
- 1 each red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Cut your chicken into 1 inch cubes
- Add oil to a heated pan on medium high heat and add the onions. Saute the onions until they softne
- Next, add the chicken and season with garlic powder and salt.
- Continue to stir the chicken until it turns golden brown on all sides. (cook for 5 to 7 minutes) Then, add the soy sauce and hoisin sauce and fully coat the chicken
- At the end, add the red bell peppers and pineapple. Sprinkle with sesame oil and mix well.
- Enjoy with rice or noodles (use cauliflower rice or squash spirals for low carb option). You could also serve this on top of a lettuce wrap.
If you love this recipe, check out these other recipes we know you’ll love too: