Sausage fried rice is a savory egg and rice dish that is simple and quick to throw together. Much like a stir fry, fried rice is a fool proof meal that can be a great option when you have proteins and veggies on hand but you aren’t sure what to do with them. Our recipe uses sausage links, and a mixture of fresh or frozen mixed vegetables. However, you can substitute in ground sausage, italian sausage, breakfast sausage or pretty much any ground meat you have on hand.
Ease of Making: Easy
This sausage fried rice recipe uses a traditional whole grain rice but if you’re looking for a lower carb option you can substitute in cauliflower rice like we did in these recipes:
How to Make Sausage Fried Rice
There are many variations of sausage fried rice that is influenced by cultures and meals across the country. The most popular variations are Chinese sausage fried rice, Italian sausage fried rice, and breakfast sausage fried rice.
For the most authentic experience, try cooking this up in a wok but if you don’t have one then a skillet or frying pan will do the trick.
How to Cook Make Sausage Fried Rice
Start by mincing garlic, dicing your bell pepper, and slicing sausage into quarter inch circles. If using ground sausage, simply ignore the last step. Once your ingredients are prepped, add oil to a heated wok on medium high heat and saute garlic and sausage until the sausage heats through. Then add in your vegetables and stir. When your vegetables are cooked through, add in the cooked rice and season with soy sauce and garlic powder. Stir the rice well until completely covered with the soy sauce. You can add more soy sauce if needed.
Now that your base is complete, make a hole in the middle of the pan and crack two eggs into the center. Lightly whisk the eggs with a fork until they scramble and have cooked and firmly set. Incorporate eggs with the rest of the mixture by stirring all ingredients together.
Top off the rice with sprinkles of sesame oil, sesame seeds or sriracha for more flavor and heat.
Meal Prep Tips for Making Sausage Fried Rice
- Use rice you’ve already prepared for the week. Day old rice works best in our sausage fried rice recipe.
- Sub in mushrooms or tofu for the sausage to make this recipe vegetarian friendly.
Sausage Fried Rice
- cutting board
- 2 each sausage links (3 oz each)
- 1 each large egg
- 2 cups cooked rice (best if using day old rice)
- 2 each garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 each red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh mixed vegetables (chopped)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Slice sausage into 1/4 inch coins
- Add oil to a heated pan on medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, vegetables, and sausage for about 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables soften and sausage heats through
- Then, add cooked rice to the wok
- Season with soy sauce and pepper. Mix the rice well until it is completely coated with the soy sauce. (add more soy sauce if needed)
- Then, spread the rice mixture to the edges of the pan and create a hole in the middle of the pan. Crack the egg into the middle and stir and scramble the eggs until they have cooked and firmly set. Once cooked, mix it well into the rice mixture.
- At the end, top off the rice with sprinkles of sesame oil for more flavor. Eat and enjoy!